A Wilder Experience is offering Introduction to Map and Compass course that is designed to provide the basic skills, knowledge and ability to read various topographical maps and plot courses to travel in remote areas.
Students will have an opportunity to practice skills outside. This course is suitable for beginners, or those looking to refresh their skills.
Fee: $99 + HST Maximum 10 per session Ages: 16yrs +
- Situational awareness for wilderness navigation
- Choosing the right map and learning to read them
- Choosing the right compass and learning how it works
- Map colours and symbology
- Understanding grid systems
- Contour lines and terrain association
- Plotting way points and course
- Declination and determining a bearing
- Putting theory into practice outside