stay home year 2020
o COVID-19, what is this 'staycation' you've created?
the kids of the 70s and 80s LOVED vacation, which was almost always meant vacating where you lived and travelling around the province with family and friends.
you'd do things like go to the cabin, stay in provincial parks, swim in ponds, ride bikes on dirt roads, motor boats, catch frogs and visit NL lighthouses. the photography wasn't as polished, but the times were awesome.
and here we are in 2020 - everything old is new again! social media feeds are popping with happy travellers showing off their staycation treasures. there are happy shots of craft breweries, distilleries, jumping whales and astonished kids, East Coast Trail hiking, boutique hotels and salt box specials. who knew how perfectly hiking and craft beer would pair?
we're excited to share the local love. what's on your bucket list? check out all on the go below for inspo!
all this translates to loads of local love! and we're all over that and happy to celebrate #staycation as the new g2g feature! this is what we're working on!
Look for the Good - win the goodie bag
- get a few new deets on companies that always make a St. John's an awesome staycation destination! Belinda Dominic played and entered and she won the great prize pack!
- click here for the full story!
- the Inside Scoop shares info on cool things happening in the community from those making it happen and those who understand it. we'd hoped to talk with Angela live from Angela's Shoreline Restaurant in Burgeo, but instead we just got the scoop on the rolled ice cream.
community think tank
- what are you going to do this summer? say your part on the home page!
great #staycation golos coming up!
- Bruce Drover will talk about a growing girl and the growing love of biking in NL - Lila bikes!
- here's a story abouttree-planting community group - Junior Forest Wardens
- we'll follow guide to the good for a soutwest coast staycation!
- Julia Bloomquist will fill us in on the community garden project that's captured her heart
We Got This series
- We Got This nurtures resilient, locally-focused communities in a post COVID-19 Newfoundland and Labrador. it’s a multi-episode, fresh and original livestream series that informs, educates, and inspires the community and offers practical tools to take action as we move forward. we headed to Clarke's Beach for a We Got This episode with Peter Wilkins of The Newfoundland Distillery.
let's see what else shows up!
the pix down the side
- there are dishes to be done little blighters, even on vacation! at a picnic table, by a camping van with bikes on the roof
- lighthouse photo op (this is believed to be Long Point Lighthouse, North Twillingate Island circa late 70s)
- three little darlings in the pond at the cabin
- Terra Nova National Park was a very chill destination, with cool things to swing around at Newman Sound
- sister and brother, together by the miniature waterwheel
- the expedition to the fishing cabin was the greatest escape for the b'ys, but for some, even in the roughest of conditions, there is no cause to go without a tie and sportscoat.
- a boy and a boat